Dance Performance

10:26 PM Posted by Crista Hecht

Kat had to do a photo story on this dancer, Kira (first photo), and she asked me to come along. I wasn't going to (after all that walking!), but I had to write a story on an event, so I thought I would go and if the story didn't work out, I could always take photos. We were there from 5 p.m. until 10 p.m. I ended up being the videographer for Kira's practice before the show, which was fine. So when I wasn't getting stuff for my story, I got to go up on the balcony and shoot anything I wanted from anywhere up top (the balcony surrounds the whole room). I know I could have gotten some better stuff down below, but I was really interested in what I could get above and I've been trying to force myself to do something different every time I shoot. It turned out pretty fun and I got my story out of it, so it all worked out.

The dances were interesting, although some of them were kind of odd, but I don't know much about dancing, so maybe it's just me. The most interesting part was that Kira's partner, Tim, is not a dancer at all - he's a trainer and was a football player. They've been working together for a year just for this one night and he did a good job, but he didn't do much dancing - more lifting than anything. Anyway, I've never shot dancing before so it was good to try it and I hope I got some good photos out of it. This is the first time in 3 months that I've really shot anything, besides earlier today and a little in Hawaii this summer. It feels good to pick up the camera and still feel like I know what I'm doing. No pressure, just fun.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Neat Photos! I like the second and third on from the top...with all the colors. Good Job!

Steve Garfield said...

Really great perspective. I like how you shot from up high.